No one expects to be in an accident, but one happens every 83 seconds in Texas. The above photo shows what just happened to a client of mine.
Here are some tips on what you should do if you are involved in a wreck.
1. Be safe. Move your car off the road if you can and turn on your hazard lights and get out if the car if you can’t.
2. Notify the police. Tell them how the other driver is at fault. Make sure the police make an official report. Do not accept a form where you mail in some info to the DPS in Austin.
3. Stay calm. Do not start screaming at the other driver. Just exchange information, including driver’s license, vehicle and insurance. If he flees the scene, you or a bystander needs to get his/her make, model and license plate number.
4. Take photos. Evidence of the cars, road, skid marks, traffic lights, other people involved, and injuries is important.
5. Talk to any eyewitnesses. Get addresses, emails and phones.
6. Jot down your notes and drawings of the scene.
7 .Do not accept cash offers to settle vehicle or injury claims.
8. Report your injuries to the EMTs and go the the hospital by ambulance or with family or friends. Seek medical attention to heal your injuries. File on your health insurance.
9. Check your policy. See what coverage you have, including collision, towing, and rental for property damage and personal injury protection/medical payments and uninsured/underinsured for injury coverage.
10. Protect your rights. Contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can give you the best advice on how you should proceed.
I hope you have not been in a motor vehicle accident here in North Texas, but if you have, please contact me. I’ll fight to get you the money you deserve.