School started this week for most kids in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. I again saw a lot walking to school and being dropped off this morning as I ran before work. It is mandatory that we all slow down and pay attention to the road and talk to our children about traffic safety.
Watching Out for Kids During the School Year
As you shuttle your children to school by opening bell then race to work, the temptation to speed or to quickly check your email is understandable. Resist the urge and follow these school year traffic laws:
- Never use a cell phone while driving through a school zone
- Do not speed, especially in a school zone
- Comply with the school’s drop-off and pickup procedures
- Be aware that kids could dart out in front of your car at any moment
- Do not pass a bus that has stopped and activated its flashing red lights
Careful driving not only ensures the safety of kids, but also avoids a very expensive ticket. Texting or talking on the phone while driving through a school zone can result in a $200 ticket. Passing a school bus while its flashing red lights are engaged can cost up to $1000 in fines.