Fort Worth’s Casey James has sung his way into the top three spots on American Idol and I wanted to wish him good luck going into the final round next week.
Casey, who is 27, is the lead singer and plays guitar with his self-named Casey James Band. He plays with his brother Billy James and Jacy McCann, often at the Keys Lounge on Westcreek not far from our main offices in Southwest Fort Worth. Casey is one cool dude — he’s even from Cool, Texas – and hummed before he could even speak.
Casey has been a fulltime musician since he was 17, survived a bad motorcycle wreck when he was 21 (and doctors told him he would never be able to play the guitar again) and obviously has a brilliant future in front of him.
Here are the songs he has sung to work his way into the finals:
• February 24 – “Heaven” by Bryan Adams
• March 2 – “I Don’t Want to Be” by Gavin DeGraw
• March 10 – “You’ll Think of Me” by Keith Urban
• March 16 – “It’s All Over Now” by The Rolling Stones
• March 23 – “The Power of Love” by Huey Lewis
• March 30 – “Hold On, I’m Comin'” by Sam and Dave
• April 6 – “Jealous Guy” by John Lennon
• April 13 – “Lawdy, Miss Clawdy” by Elvis Presley
• April 20 – “Don’t Stop” by Fleetwood Mac
• April 27 – “Don’t” by Shania Twain
• May 4 – “Blue Skies” by Frank Sinatra
• May 11 – “Mrs. Robinson” by Simon & Garfunkel; “Have You Ever Loved a Woman?”
This is even more amazing since Casey had never even watched the show before he auditioned in Denver (after Kara asked him to take his shirt off) and is the oldest guy to make it into the top 24.
Casey said last night that he looks forward to returning to Fort Worth.
Casey will be visiting the AT&T store in Grapevine tomorrow at 10:30 a.m and will be in a parade at the Stock Yards Friday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. It’s my daughter’s 20th birthday, and I am going to take her up there and hope to meet him.
I hope Casey wins! And it would be so “cool” if he joined Kelly Clarkson as another American Idol from our area.
Make sure you tune in next Tuesday and vote for him!