I have been attending the Advanced Personal Injury Law seminar sponsored by the State Bar of Texas this week.
Yes, it is a webinar. So much of an attorney’s life is virtual these days, filled with court hearings, mediations, and client and attorney conferences that are conducted on Zoom or Skype.
I go to the three day program put on by the State Bar or by the Texas Trial Lawyers Association each year to stay current with the latest laws, cases, and techniques and attend other seminars throughout the year.
Some of the subjects we are studying this week are
- Recent decisions from the Texas Supreme Court
- Trial and appeal procedures
- Vehicle and tractor-trailer crashes
- Dram shop (suing bars and restaurants which over serve customers who cause collisions)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists benefits
- Brain injuries
- Liens and subrogation claims
- Settlement demands
- Medical expenses
- Rideshare (Uber and Lyft)
- ATV/UTV wrecks
- Probate issues
- Product liability
OK, the break is over. Back to class.